In 2011, we hired out the redesign of the public website to a consultant. I was involved only briefly and was able to weigh on the hosting provider as well as the Content Management System (CMS) that was going to be used. That turned out to be less than stellar. We stuck with the host and CMS, but decided have the Marketing Manager and myself redesign the content, graphics, and organization. And we ended up adding features as we went along.
My main role was functionality. The Marketing Manager outsourced the design to the same designer that had been retooling our print materials. That consultant created a mock-up of the site in Photoshop that we acquired and were able to better translate to the web medium. I began modifying the layout and would pass it through Marketing for tweaks and approval, so the graphics and user interface quickly became my responsibility. Tthere were other design elements for the features we were adding that needed graphic treatment as well, putting me in the great position of back-end development all the way through to the user front-end. I loved it. (more…)